Friday, November 5, 2010

Trip to "Rochester"

I never really got the chance to look around the area of these venues because of how separated they were. Example we drove 40some minutes to Ferndale from my house, 20 to Birmingham another 20some to Rochester to find that the address we thought the Museum of New Art was, but found it was in Pontiac so we drove about 40some minutes back to my house with a pit stop at the museum on the way. Anyway back to the individual stops.

1.      Lemberg Gallery-This gallery had a fabulous show by Mark Sengbusch. I loved every piece! His work was very Art Deco/contemporary which I adore to no end. Plus each one was so intricate and detailed. It was metallic paint on linen covered with Plexiglas. It was just awesome!
2.      Paul Kutola Projects-This place annoyed me because it totally didn’t open when it said it would so I was really annoyed. But it was running a three person exhibition called The Edge which was pretty cool because it had that contemporary art deco feel again, I didn’t like it as much and the Lemberg, but it was good.
3.      David Klein Gallery-This place had a great show too which hit the other art thing that I adore, realistic art. The painter, Alyssa Monks, had a series of oil paintings of people which were swimming, immersed, of in some way connected with water. The people were so realistic, and the way she did the water was fantastic, it was so real, but yet a painting. A perfect balance.
4.      Museum of New Art-Also annoyed me because they weren’t open when they said they were.The limited hours really said a lot since this place did not really impress me that much. Mostly it was because of the then current show The New Media, Sex, and Culture in the 21st Century show really wasn't to my taste in any way, nor was anything else.

Picture time not nearly as many as the last time. Sorry about the resolution in some of these


Lemberg Gallery-A piece that I really loved!

Lemberg Gallery-My mother in between two more extraordinary pieces

Lemberg Gallery-Me next to another great piece. 

Lemberg Gallery-I tried to take a picture of this several time to make it come out clear, but no it wouldn't let me. This was my favorite though.

Lemberg-And yet another great piece I loved.

Outside of the Paul Kotula gallery

David Klein-One of the works

David Klein-Another, it seriously looks like there is actual condensation on this, fabulous! 

David Klein-Another piece 

David Klein-Another piece, this time I'm next to it.

My mom by her favorite.

 No pictures by the Museum of new art...my camera died. But at least it got the shows I really enjoyed!


This is the page from my sketch book from the MONA of one of the pieces, which I sketched despite not liking the piece.

That concludes the "Rochester" trip

No comments:

Post a Comment